Tuesday, February 11, 2014

4 years in the making...

There are certain days for which we all must wait.  Our Driver's License.  Graduation.  Our wedding day.  Our firstborn.  Since I started as the Chaplain at Anna Julia Cooper Episcopal School, I have been wanting to lead communion.  I could have on my Baptist credentials, as I still am ordained in the Baptist tradition, technically.  But I never did because I wanted to wait till I became an Episcopal priest so I would not have to make excuses, or bear false witness on myself.

Today, at long last, I was able to lead the students and teachers in chapel and celebrate the Eucharist.  It meant a lot to me.  I was not going to make a big deal about it, just do it and move on.   But the Principal got up afterward and announced that this was the first time I was able as an Episcopal priest to lead the communion.  The kids applauded.

Not what I wanted.  Definitely not what I expected.  But it was what it was.  For many of them, they have journeyed with me, going to interviews and taking my ordination exams vicariously.  They had heard me speak to how hard it was at times, and how much I was looking forward to today.  Today, a chapel service four years in the making.  I used Sunday's readings, Year A Epiphany 5, from Matthew 5: Jesus said, "You are the salt of earth...  You are the light of the world."  The kids were salt and light for me today, and my prayer is I was for them as well.  It was fun and simple, and beautiful.  Thank you, God, for letting me see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for wanting to comment. Please add it here, and after a moderator reviews it, it will be posted if appropriate. Look forward to hearing your opinion.
Blessings, Rock