Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Year A Proper 28 WED 2020 Pause Run Back Give Thanks

 Year A Proper 28 WEDNESDAY, 18 November 2020

Video Service from St. James the Less Episcopal, Ashland, VA

Pause, Run Back, Give Thanks


Collect: Blessed Lord, who caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant us so to hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Luke 17:11-19

On the way to Jerusalem Jesus was going through the region between Samaria and Galilee. As he entered a village, ten lepers approached him. Keeping their distance, they called out, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” When he saw them, he said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were made clean. Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. He prostrated himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him. And he was a Samaritan.Then Jesus asked, “Were not ten made clean? But the other nine, where are they? Was none of them found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Get up and go on your way; your faith has made you well.”


If I could run back to Jesus, for what would I run back and say thank you?


There is a lot in that question. It says a lot about Jesus. It says a lot about me. It says a lot about the role Jesus has played and plays in my life.


So let it not be a rhetorical question. What do I need to say thank you for?


With Thanksgiving next week, this is so important. We set aside a Feast Day, one in which most of us actually feast, to stop everything and say Thank You for what we have, before many of us go out and get more the next day. I almost wish it were Gratefulness instead of Thanksgiving, we might be more content.


But Thanksgiving it is, and as I ponder what it is that has meant the most to me I am overwhelmed. In the hard times I was loved and cared for, even when I did not see it or feel it at the time. I have a job I love, and work I feel to be important and rewarding. I have a family that means more to me than anything in the world. I am learning to lean more and more into my relationship with God, and love encouraging others to do the same. I have been blessed. I am thankful.


What is your list? What are the highlights of your life, the milestones of your faith?


I know for me looking back, I can see that the times I was hurting and feeling most alone, God’s love and guiding hand was working in ways beyond my comprehension at the time, and beyond my belief now. God’s great draw towards his best and his hope for us is how I say that prayer “on earth as it is in heaven.”


As we move into this week, when busy-ness can distract us from truly being Thankful, ponder your list. Pause. Run back. Give thanks! Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for wanting to comment. Please add it here, and after a moderator reviews it, it will be posted if appropriate. Look forward to hearing your opinion.
Blessings, Rock