Sunday, July 15, 2018

Year B Proper 10 2018 Whatcha Gonna Do?

Year B Proper 10, 15 July 2018 
St. James the Less Episcopal, Ashland, VA 
Whatcha Gonna Do?” 

Collect: O Lord, mercifully receive the prayers of your people who call upon you, and grant that they may know and understand what things they ought to do, and also may have grace and power faithfully to accomplish them; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen. 
2 Samuel 6:1-5, 12b-19 Mark 6:14-29 King Herod heard of Jesus and his disciples, for Jesus’ name had become known. Some were saying, “John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers are at work in him.” But others said, “It is Elijah.” And others said, “It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old.” But when Herod heard of it, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has been raised.”  For Herod himself had sent men who arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison on account of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, because Herod had married her. For John had been telling Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.” And Herodias had a grudge against him, and wanted to kill him. But she could not, for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and he protected him. When he heard him, he was greatly perplexed; and yet he liked to listen to him. But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his courtiers and officers and for the leaders of Galilee. When his daughter Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, “Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will give it.” And he solemnly swore to her, “Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom.” She went out and said to her mother, “What should I ask for?” She replied, “The head of John the baptizer.” Immediately she rushed back to the king and requested, “I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter.” The king was deeply grieved; yet out of regard for his oaths and for the guests, he did not want to refuse her. Immediately the king sent a soldier of the guard with orders to bring John’s head. He went and beheaded him in the prison, brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl. Then the girl gave it to her mother. When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body, and laid it in a tomb. 

Good morning. I left a week ago from Church, running straight to Shrine Mont. We arrived home around 4 yesterday afternoon. The roller coaster in-between was Family Camp. Ben and Annie Campbell, who if you know them you probably know them from Richmond Hill, were our keynote speakers for the adults. One thing that really resonated with me was when Ben said, “If you really want to know Jesus, look at what he did more than what he said.” Through that, he walked us most of the week, we get to see the real religion of Jesus. And think about it, as followers of Christ, which would he want? Would he want to follow where he goes and do as he does? Or would he want us worshiping him? Do we want the religion OF Jesus, or a religion ABOUT Jesus? 

Over and over Jesus says, “Come, follow me.” And I think we worship Christ best in doing what he did, instead of celebrating what he said. While what he said is wonderful, and affects what we do, let’s get busy. Let’s be about what he was about, showing the world the Love of God. 

We all know, actions speak louder than words. Every one of us. We even write it into our plays and musicals. Eliza’s “Show Me” from My Fair Lady, or the classic “Do You Love Me?” from Fiddler on the Roof, where the main character Tevye asks his wife Golde if she loves him.  
DO YOU LOVE ME? from Fiddler on the Roof 
Tevye: Do you love me? 
Golde: Do I what? 
Tevye: Do you love me? 
Golde: Do I love you? 
With our daughters getting married and this trouble in the town, 
You're upset. You want out. 
Go inside. Go lie down. 
Maybe it's indigestion. 
Tevye: Golde, I'm asking you a question. Do you love me? 
Golde: You're a fool! 
Tevye: I know. But do you love me? 
Golde: Do I love you? 
For twenty-five years, I've washed your clothes, 
Cooked your meals, cleaned your house,  
Given you children, milked the cow. 
After twenty-five years, why talk about love right now? 
Tevye: The first time I met you was on our wedding day. I was scared. 
Golde: I was shy. 
Tevye: I was nervous. 
Golde: So was I. 
Tevye: But my father and my mother said we'd learn to love each other. 
So, now I'm asking, Golde... 
Do you love me? 
Golde: I'm your wife! 
Tevye: I know. But do you love me? 
Golde: Do I love him? 
For twenty-five years, I've lived with him, 
Fought with him, starved with him. 
For twenty-five years, my bed is his. 
If that's not love, what is? 
Tevye: Then you love me? 
Golde: I suppose I do. 
Tevye: And I suppose I love you, too. 
Together: It doesn't change a thing, but even so, 
After twenty-five years, it's nice to know. 
Songwriters: Berry Gordy Jr / Berry / Jr Gordy 
Do You Love Me? lyrics © Bock Ip LLC, Imagem U.S. LLC, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group 

In today’s Gospel, what brought Jesus to Herod’s attention is WHAT HE DID. A preacher without action is no threat. Listen again to today’s words:  
King Herod heard of Jesus and his disciples, for Jesus’ name had become known. Some were saying, “John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers are at work in him.” But others said, “It is Elijah.” And others said, “It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old.” But when Herod heard of it, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has been raised. 

If you want to get somebody’s attention, DO SOMETHING. That is what attracts attention. Even our collect for the day, O Lord, mercifully receive the prayers of your people who call upon you, and grant that they may know and understand what things they ought to do, and also may have grace and power faithfully to accomplish them… Today we pray about DOING! 
 When we follow Christ, and do what he would do in our shoes, we faithfully accomplish what St. Paul urged of us: “Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.” (I Cor. 12:27) 

We are Christ’s hands and feet, Christ’s elbows and knees, Christ’s spleen and kidneys, we do what Christ would do in our shoes. And we show our love of Christ, and that we are followers through our actions. Jesus even promises us (in John 14:12): Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these…  

That is what we have been given to do. Now there are cycles and seasons, and purposes and reasons. Ben Campbell partly told the story of how he and other key leaders were pivotal in getting the GRTC’s bus routes redone with Bus Rapid Transit beginning in the city. My daughters and I rode just a few weeks ago. It was great. And even fun. But we are not the ones for whom it is a necessity. For many in greater Richmond, there is no way for them to get to where the full-time jobs with benefits are without public transportation. Without a full-time job with benefits, it is almost impossible for someone to get financially stable enough to get a reliable car, to get a day off when your kids get sick, to save up so one can eventually retire and live out their lives without overwhelming worry or working themselves to death. I have heard from many that ministers should not be actively involved in worrying others with public transportation, but justice has always been a part of the God’s proclamations, and this is a justice issue. I have heard so many complain about what it is doing to Broad Street, but every time I have to change lanes I say a little thank you that we are working toward a greater good for all our sakes. I do not have time to get into it today, but my friend Ben teaches and preaches and lobbies and plans and holds to task the powers that be. Like I said, a preacher without action is no threat. Ben, and John the baptizer, are threats. 

In today’s Gospel, John the baptizer was calling Herod to task, and it cost him a dear price. His neck. I am glad Ben was able to keep his. 
  
Another way we do what Jesus did, is to live in the moment. When he was somewhere, he tried to be there. When the woman touched his garment, he stopped and looked for her, because he had “felt the power go out of him.” (Luke 8:43-48)  

 David, in our Old Testament reading, chose to lead his people in worship as they brought the ark into Jerusalem. He danced and worshiped and humiliated Saul’s daughter. It was not becoming, I assume she thought. Whatever she took offense at, “She despised him in her heart.”  

 Sometimes when we are about the Lord’s work, we will be despised. By Saul’s daughter, or Herod’s wife, by people for whom they cannot fathom our actions, or for whom they assume that we are as duplicitous as they are. 

But in the economy and purposes of God, there is a reason and a season for everything. 
Ecclesiastes 3  
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 
2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 
5 a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 
6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to throw away; 
7 a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 
8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace. 
9 What gain have the workers from their toil? 
10 I have seen the business that God has given to everyone to be busy with. 
11a He has made everything suitable for its time 

As we prayed today, may God hear our prayer and help us faithfully do God’s bidding in our lives and the time that has been given us. Let us not lose sight of why we do what we do. But that still begs the question, whatcha gonna do? 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for wanting to comment. Please add it here, and after a moderator reviews it, it will be posted if appropriate. Look forward to hearing your opinion.
Blessings, Rock