Sunday, January 11, 2015

Beloved: a sermon

Beloved
Epiphany 1, January 11, 2015
St. Thomas Church, Richmond, VA

We come today to the Baptism of our Lord, the first Sunday of the Epiphany.  We remember the arrival of Jesus to the Jordan River to be baptized by his cousin John.  I have often heard the question asked, Why did Jesus need to be baptized?  I find this question to be like, Why did the chicken cross the road? or How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?  Both are unanswerable.  Even worse, both are moot.  The whys in most situations are not knowable, as some of you have heard me speak about before.  I like to look at what is.  Almost to say, Why did Jesus need to be baptized?  In response, Because he was baptized.  It does not answer the why, but Jesus need to do so was apparent because he was.  There is something intrinsic that is happening.  But what?

 And that begs the question, Why do any of us need to be baptized?  Why do we undergo this strange and bizarre ritual?  An easy answer, because Jesus told us to go and be baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  (Matthew 28:19)

But what is the role of ritual?  What is the role of doing what we do at this font?  At that altar?  How come?

I have used this quote often, usually at marriages.  A ritual is an enactment of a myth.  -Joseph Campbell  (Hear myth here as a group-shaping story, not a lie or fiction.)

We go through the motions of a story, to make that formative story not just a part of our story, but our actual story.  When we take on the story of baptism we become the stories of Scripture.  In baptism, we wash away the old like in Noahs Flood to bring about a new beginning.  In baptism, we are ritually cleansed like in the laws of the Tabernacle and of the Temple.  In baptism, we follow Christ into the Jordan.  In baptism, we are laid in the tomb of Christs sepulcher to be risen to new life.  All these stories become our story.  We are invited into this newness of life.

Looking at the Catechism in our Prayer Books (pp. 857-858):

Q.      What are the sacraments?
A.      The sacraments are outward and visible signs of inward
and spiritual grace, given by Christ as sure and certain
means by which we receive that grace.

Q.      What is grace?
A.      Grace is God's favor toward us, unearned and
undeserved; by grace God forgives our sins, enlightens
our minds, stirs our hearts, and strengthens our wills.

(and skipping down)

Q.      What is Holy Baptism?
A.      Holy Baptism is the sacrament by which God adopts us
as his children and makes us members of Christ's Body,
the Church, and inheritors of the kingdom of God.
           
Q.      What is the outward and visible sign in Baptism?
A.      The outward and visible sign in Baptism is water, in
which the person is baptized in the Name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
           
Q.      What is the inward and spiritual grace in Baptism?
A.      The inward and spiritual grace in Baptism is union with
Christ in his death and resurrection, birth into God's
family the Church, forgiveness of sins, and new life in
the Holy Spirit.

Looking at all these questions, we are baptized not to receive Gods Grace, but because we have received Gods Grace.  It is an outward sign of an inward Grace.  We are Baptized because God first loved us.  Do not put the cart before the horse!  Christ did not need to be baptized to receive Gods love and forgiveness.  Christ was baptized because he resided in Gods love and Grace.

When we have the rituals of the Church, we often want to equate it to cause and effect.  Except we reverse the reality.  Our effect is the cause, and our cause is the effect.  We get married because of the love and the union that already is, not that we get married to have love and a union.  The wedding is an outward sign of that already received inward reality and Grace.

I got ordained by the Bishop on these steps not to make me a priest, but because Gods call and the response on my life led me to kneel before Bishop Shannon where it was outwardly recognized that I was a priest in the Church.

Now we look at our Sacraments, Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist.  Are they any different?  We are baptized to get into Gods Grace?  No.

In fact, lets look at Christs story and see what we can learn.  We need to just look at the last three verses.

Mark 1:9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.  10 And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him.  11 And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.

If we go with our usual, cause and effect approach, then Jesus getting baptized triggers him being Gods Son, Gods Beloved, with whom God is pleased.  Now, did Jesus become Gods Son at this moment?  No.  That reality already was.  Did Jesus become Gods Beloved at this point?  No.  God already loved him.  There are those that argued that Jesus became Gods Son at Baptism, or at the Transfiguration, or at the Ascension.  These ideas are called Adoptionism.  Adoptionism is a heresy.  It is why we say in the creeds, I believe in Jesus, begotten, not made, of one being with the Father.  Jesus was not adopted.  He was born the Son of God.

Think of it this way.  I love my daughters.  I love them when they are cute.  I love them when they are cranky.  I love them no matter what.  But that are times, when they make wonderful choices or do something that is so great that I am about to burst.  In moments like that I might burst out, Thats my girl!  I love you so much!  I am so proud of you!  Thats what rang from heaven.  Thats my boy!  I love him so much!  I am so proud of you!

In the Genesis reading today, before anything took shape, the Spirit of God was covering the face of the deep.  How could it not be that we are surrounded by that same breath, or wind, or Spirit covering us and preparing us for what is about to break forth?

For me, the word that encapsulates all of this is idea for me is Beloved.  Agapetos.  The object of Gods love.  Jesus is called the Agapetos by the Divine voice.  This object of Gods divine love is what comes to us.  In this season of Epiphany, may our eyes be opened to this reality like the Wise Ones who went home by another road.

Now, it is Sunday morning.  We are in church.  I can assume that most of you agree with the idea of Jesus being the Agapetos, the object of Gods divine love or you probably would not be here.  The thing I love about this word, though, is there is something else which the New Testament uses this word to describe.  In Pauls letter in speaking to the Churches in various cities, he writes to his beloved.  Now it is not human love we are talking about here.  It is that agape, that divine love, that we are talking about.

Jesus is not only the Beloved.  You are, too.  You are the Agapetos.  You are the object of Gods divine love.  In my wallet I carry a picture of my daughters.  They are smiling.  They are loving each other.  This picture makes me so happy every time I see it flop out.  How much more do you think God loves you?

In fact, think of how we would look at ourselves in the mirror if we started that way every morning.  Good morning, beloved of God!  Even more, what if we came up EVERY ONE that we meet and in our minds declare them the Beloved of God.  Think of how our church, our neighborhood, or city would change.

We come to the Baptismal sacramental waters not for God, but for us.  It is our way of saying to ourselves lest we forget and to everyone that knows us, I see, I see.  I am the Beloved of God.  He made me.  He claims me.  He loves me.  He is pleased with me.  I am baptized and there is nothing that can ever take that away.  It surrounds and binds and seals us as Gods own, and Christs own, forever.

Why are we baptized?  [Singing] Because he first loved me. 


Go out with this good news, and change the world.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for wanting to comment. Please add it here, and after a moderator reviews it, it will be posted if appropriate. Look forward to hearing your opinion.
Blessings, Rock